Monday, January 30, 2012

The Remarkable and Very True Story of Lucy and Snowcap, Review

Remarkable & Very True Story of Lucy & Snowcap

Description on Amazon:
Set on fictional islands off northeast America in 1787, this story features two twelve-year-old girls from different cultures who must join forces to save themselves, their people, and one special baby. It's part historical (based on convicts who were sent to the Americas and Australia) and part fantasy. Above all, it's a captivating adventure in the tradition of The Princess Bride with shipwrecks, curses, chases, murder plots, magic (of all kinds), romantic legends, thieves and politicians (sometimes both), a caring schoolteacher and a handsome horse groom, a pair of feisty (sometimes difficult) heroines, and the mysterious power of story-telling at its center!

I read this book, loved it, then passed it on to my niece. She passed it on to her friends. As soon as I got it back I read it again.

I think the thing I love most about this book is how truly unique it is. I have never read anything else quite like it. Which means I really didn't know what to expect when I was reading it. I didn't guess the end ahead of time, I was totally wrapped up in the story as it unfolded.

The main characters, Lucy and Snowcap, were wonderful to get to know, too. They are not typical, sweet young girls. (Far from it, actually.) But they are strong and, well, they grow on you. I don't want to say too much, but the end of this book was absolutely beautiful.

Heather Bouwman has agreed to do an interview about the book here on my blog! I'm very excited about this, I can't wait to hear what she has to say. (I am in the process of picking just the right questions to ask her. If you've read the book and have a question, let me know!) :)

Otherwise, stay tuned. Oh, and go check out her book! ;)

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know! I actaully have a picture book by the same artist called The Girl in the Castle Inside the Museum. It's amazing.

      Delete
  2. Not my style of read, but glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a lot of things, but I love MG fantasy. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That cover immediately drew me in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always looking for recs for good books. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete