Thursday, January 15, 2015

Books I Loved in 2014

I've seen a lot of posts out there sharing favorite reads from the last year, and decided it would be fun to look back over the books I read last year and share some of my favorites.

I've decided to divide up my favorites from different age groups.

In Middle Grade:

Lulu and the BrontosaurusLulu and the Brontosaurus, and Lulu Walks the Dogs, by Judith Viorst. Both of these books were fun, and charming. Exactly what you'd expect from Viorst. :)











The Girl Who Walked On Air The Girl Who Walked on Air, by Emma Carroll. This was the first book I've read by Carroll, but I will definitely read more by her. The main character, Louie, was spunky and fun and loved watching her as she reached for her dream and solved mysteries about her past.










In Young Adult: (I have the most here, because it's what I read the most of.)

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks, by E. Lockhart. I wanted to read this after reading We Were Liars, also by Lockhart. While We Were Liars was pretty awesome, Frankie's story was just so unique. I was fascinated by the story, and by Frankie herself.








Stronger Than You Know Stronger Than You Know, by Jolene Perry. This was such a lovely story of hope and healing. I loved being able to see how Joy was able to grow and thrive after an incredibly painful childhood.









How to Seduce a Band Geek (How To, #2) How to Seduce a Band Geek, by Cassie Mae. Cassie Mae never disappoints, but this is one of my favorites of hers. Sierra was such a fun character. She's a brilliant juxtaposition of confidence and doubt.










Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) Dreams of Gods and Monsters, by Laini Taylor. Taylor is such a beautiful, amazing writer. I was really looking forward to the last book in this trilogy, and it was wonderful. Really. It was all I could have asked for to conclude an amazing series.











In Adult:

Love and Cupcakes Love and Cupcakes, by Susan Crispell. This book had everything I love about magical realism. It was fun, whimsical, and filled with romance and food.











18081809 Landline, by Rainbow Rowell. Rowell has become one of my very favorite authors. She's funny, and her characters are so very real. I loved this book so much. I tell pretty much everyone I know that they should read it.










And that's it! I read a bunch of other great books in 2014, too, but couldn't possibly list them all. Next week I'll share some of the books I'm looking forward to in 2015.

What were some of your favorites from the past year?

14 comments:

  1. One of Cassie's made your list - that will make her happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read any Laini Taylor. I really need to get to one of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love E. Lockhart's books. Have you read her Ruby Oliver series yet? I read them last year and loved them. Also loved The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson and Laini Taylor's book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The MG's are totally new to me- and I love good MG! The dino one looks so cute, and I am always down for a circus plot. I've been wanting to read the Frankie book for a long time too, though I prefer the cover I saw a few years ago at the bookstore. I think it was a letter, w/a wax seal of maybe a dog on it...? Or did I totally dream that up, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't read any of these books myself, or even heard of most of them--shame on me!--but you make them all sound amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many good ones!! I have been both looking forward and dreading reading Taylor's book, as I just don't want the series to end!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never pick a favourite as it's always whatever I've just finished or just started (if I'm not enjoying it, I stop reading)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of them- that's pretty sad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meg's Secret by Kelly Abell, it is book two in a three book series and very touching. You have a nice list Rachel and such colourful covers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I couldn't get into Laini Taylor's books. Just one of those moments where you don't quite mesh with an author--which is totally bizarre to me because most people love her series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I need to bookmark this page and come back to it when I pick my next read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Nice selection above. Thank you for your well wishes on my blog. Very kind of you. Keep smiling! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. But, again, most people are unaware of this.” Because one timberland outlet uk company holds a near-monopoly on brick-and-mortar eyewear stores, “pricing models are somewhat static across the lot of them. They also have a knack for using the mattress sale model …timberland outlet saleconstantly running sales that seem too good to pass up when in reality they’re still making enormous profits.” “Semi-Annual 50% Off Sales Event,” read a recent LensCrafters ad. But the frames in question range from cheap timberland boots around $100 to around $300, and that’s without lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guests do not have cheap ray ban sunglasses to wait on rare discount ray ban sunglasses waiter smiled and slowly exit the door, shut the door in just a moment. Younger cheap who completely stunned. discount ray ban sunglasses cheap turned to discount ray ban sunglasses the waiter behind the beautiful smile you can come here of our own, and you go out, you have something to shout. I saw the sale cheap ray bans quickly picked up the chopsticks, and then discount ray ban sunglasses all the delicious .

    ReplyDelete